Friday, January 1, 2010

Splendor in the Grass and a Happy New Year!

I went to a "Pink Martini" concert on New Year's Eve with my daughter to welcome in the new year. The title song from their latest album, Splendor in the Grass, ends with the lyrics:

Life's been moving oh so fast
I think we should take it slow
rest our heads upon the grass
and listen to it grow

For me, getting people to slow down and look at the beautiful creation around us is a key thought behind my photography (see my artist statement on my website). In a salute to this song I have included a couple of images I created once just lying in the grass looking closely for a glimpse of the beauty there. While doing this is not an original idea (others have done this well before me), it is a reminder that there are beautiful images to be found just at our feet.

As you start your new year, I encourage each of you to slow down and look more closely at the world around you. What beauty are you missing?


Blog images: the first image is a dew laden piece of grass in front of some low growing pink inpatients. The second image is a closeup of view of one of those webs you see in the grass on a dewy morning. The final image is of the sunlight playing off of all the dew drops in the grass. All the images were shot with a 50mm lens plus an extension tube.